Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 4.45.13 PM

Family reunification is one of the top priorities for  the Canadian Government. If you are a Canadian permanent resident or citizen with a family member who wants to immigrate to Canada, you may be able to help them become a permanent resident.  Canada offers a number of immigration programs that gives Canadians the opportunity to be with their family members in Canada. Following are family sponsorship programs:

Spouse or Common-Law Partner Sponsorship

You can sponsor your spouse or partner to come to Canada if you’re at least 18 years old and a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or permanent resident of Canada. One has to prove that they can provide for the basic needs of the spouse or partner they are sponsoring and the relationship is genuine.


You can sponsor your own parents and grandparents if you’re at least 18 years old, live in Canada, are a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act and furthermore have enough money to support the persons you want to sponsor. You will need to know whether you are eligible as per minimum income requirements for family sponsorship and what supporting documents you need to express your interest and successfully sponsor your family members to immigrate to Canada. 

Dependent Children 

If you are immigrating to Canada, you can choose to include your children as accompanying dependents on your application for permanent residence. However, if you choose not to include them, or are otherwise unable to do so, they may still be able to join you in Canada later. They must be under 22 years old, and don’t have a spouse or partner or be 22 years old or older and has depended substantially on the financial support of the parent since before the age of 22, and they are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition.