Canadian permanent residency has numerous categories for people to facilitate immigration. All the available programs have different eligibility criteria which includes the applicant’s age, education, language ability, work experience and/or a job offer from a Canadian employer. 

As a permanent resident, you receive great opportunities and benefits in Canada. Having a PR card allows you to live, work and study in Canada on a permanent basis. The PR Card is normally issued for 5 years and can be renewed.

Express Entry

Immigrate to Canada as Skilled Worker. Based on your age, level of education, language assessment and work experience, you may be able to apply for Permanent Residency.

Provincial Nominee Program

Immigrate to Canada by being nominated by a Canadian province or territory. This program is for workers who have the skills, education and work experience to contribute to the economy of a specific province or territory and want to live in that province.

Family Class Immigration

Immigrate to Canada by being sponsored by a family member. Canadian citizens and permanent residents may be eligible to sponsor spouses, common-law partners, children and other dependents, parents, and grandparents thus providing them permanent residency.

Business Immigration

Immigrate by starting a business and creating jobs  or as a self-employed person in cultural or athletic activities. The objective of the Business Immigration Program is to encourage investment and employment in Canada through the migration of people who have the ability to successfully establish or invest in a business in Canada.

Quebec-selected Skilled Workers

Immigrate as a skilled worker in the province of Quebec. Quebec offers two economic immigration programs for those interested in immigrating to the province:

  1. Quebec Skilled Worker (QSW)
  2. Quebec Experience Program (PEQ)

Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program

Immigrate by graduating from a school or working in New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, or Newfoundland and Labrador. it allows designated employers from the Atlantic provinces to hire foreign nationals without obtaining a LMIA.


Immigrate by providing care for children, the elderly or those with medical needs, or work as a live-in caregiver.

Canada offers two programs for those interested in immigrating to Canada:

  1. Home Child Care Provider Pilot
  2. Home Support Worker Pilot

Refugee and Humanitarian Resettlement Program

Immigrate as a refugee or become a sponsor. This program is for people who need protection from outside Canada and have fled their countries because of a well-founded fear of persecution. They are not able to return home.

Click here to know if you are eligible for Permanent Residency